VFA termination notice will be sent today- Palace

ADVERTISING

President Rodrigo Duterte will issue the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) termination notice to the United States today, Monday.

Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo clarified that a formal document had not been released this weekend as offices are closed, and the President is in Davao City.

ADVERTISING

There has been confusion in the past days after Panelo announced on Friday that the President had ordered the DFA chief to inform the US that the Philippines would repeal the VFA but Executive Sec. Salvador Medialdea said he did not receive any formal orders from the President on Saturday.

Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana said the President has yet to formally direct Medialdea on VFA termination.

VFA termination notice will be sent today- Palace

The President first threatened to revoke the VFA after Senator and former PNP Chief Bato Dela Rosa’s US visa was canceled.

ADVERTISING

“If you do not do the correction, one, I will terminate the bases, the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA). I will finish that son of a bitch,” Duterte said in a wide-ranging speech before former Communist rebels. “I am giving the government and the American government one month from now.”

Dela Rosa said the US embassy in the Philippines did not explain as to why his visa was canceled. He believed it was most likely due to extrajudicial killings allegations against him during his term as Philippine National Chief for two years.

Panelo explained that the VFA is an executive agreement, meaning the President can cancel it.

Last week, a group of protesters aimed to condemn the defense agreement between the Philippines and America threw paint at the US Embassy in Manila.

ADVERTISING