Urgent appeal for Scottish man shot in chest just hours before his wedding

Urgent appeal for Scottish man shot in chest just hours before his wedding
Tareq Naggar with his fiance Angie. Picture from his Facebook page

The Scottish man shot in the chest by robbers in Talisay City on Thursday (July 20) has survived — but is in desperate of help to fund his ongoing treatment.

As we reported on Saturday, Tareq Naggar from Glasgow was confronted by three men riding a motorcycle as he was sitting outside a shop with his fiancée Angie at about 6am.


After taking his wallet, which contained only 500 pesos, the 44-year-old was shot before the robbers fled the scene.

BBC Scotland has now confirmed that despite the bullet being shot at point-blank range into his ribcage, it missed all his major organs, and the joiner is now recovering in hospital.

However, because he didn’t have suitable travel insurance, his friends have launched an appeal to help cover the cost of his medical treatment. So far, more than £1,000 has been donated towards a £10,000 target.


His best man Chris McLaughlin, who had flown to the Philippines with Mr Naggar’s kilt for the wedding, was nearby when the attack happened.

Speaking to the BBC, Mr McLaughlin, aged 40, said: “I heard a commotion and ran over to see what was happening. A guy pulled a gun out and shot Tarek in the chest. Then he pointed the gun at myself.”

He said an ambulance was called but didn’t arrive, so they were forced to take Mr Naggar to Talisay City District Hospital on a trike.

“Tarek’s fiancee was trying to call taxis but there was none stopping. I was on the floor with Tarek. He was conscious.

After about 10 minutes or so a guy stopped in a rickshaw,” he told BBC Scotland.

Mr Naggar was treated at a nearby emergency room, then transferred to South General Hospital for surgery.

“The surgeon said the bullet went in the right side but ricocheted and travelled over to the left lung. Miraculously it didn’t go through his heart, it actually went behind his heart.

“He seems to be recovering well. He’s conscious and awake, and has been talking the last couple of days. He’s out of the ICU and has been moved to a recovery room.”

To help Mr Naggar cover the cost of his medical treatment, visit his fundraising page on gofundme.com.