A new terminal — billed as the world’s first “resort airport” — will officially open its doors to travellers next week.
The 17.5-billion peso Terminal 2 of the Mactan Cebu International Airport is set to be officially opened on Thursday, June 7.
Louie Ferrer, president of GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corp. said President Duterte would visit to cut the ribbon. “Yes, the president and many guests, both local and foreign will be present during the inauguration,” he added.
The new terminal is expected to increase the airport’s passenger capacity to 12.5 million annually.
The facility covers 65,500 square metres and was designed by Hong Kong-based Integrated Design Associates together with local designers Budji Layug, Royal Pinda and Kenneth Cobonpue.
Its design is envisioned to display the “warmth and friendliness” of the local culture and the people of Cebu.
The unmissable feature of the terminal is its curved wooden roof which features glassed areas to allow natural sunlight to illuminate the building.
The floor has been designed to reflect this light, with polished concrete inset with locally sourced mother of pearl intended to create a sand-like glimmer.
There will be 48 check-in counters, with the capacity to expand this number to 72. These are rattan and back-lit to make to create the impression of lanterns.
Property consultant Colliers International has said the new terminal will help to boost Cebu’s property market and tourist industry.
Cebu’s rising attractiveness as a tourist spot and growing competitiveness as an investment destination will also support a “15-20 percent in tourist arrivals” for the year, sustaining a hotel occupancy of “between 65 per cent and 70 per cent across Metro Cebu,” the firm added.
“We see the demand for warehouses and container yard spaces becoming more pronounced over the next 12 months,” it said.
“We see industrial land values in the northern parts of Manduae, Consolacion, and Lilo-an growing by at least a tenth annually over the next two to three years.”
As we previously reported, the airport’s operators have also submitted a 208-billion peso proposal for a second runway and third terminal. These new facilities would boost the capacity of the airport to 50 million passengers per year.
Latest posts by M G Martin (see all)
- Filipinos making a difference overseas could win presidential awards - August 23, 2019
- Teen pregnancy still a problem despite downward trend, says health chief - August 23, 2019
- Early release for ex-mayor jailed for rape and murder dismissed by palace - August 23, 2019