Sony PlayStation on Thursday let gamers have a peek of the new PS5, which came with a futuristic design, high-end specs and features, and exclusive video games.
The PS5, also known as the PlayStation 5, will be available this Christmas, Sony confirmed.
Digital Foundry expert Rich Leadbetter said the specs of PS5 are the following:
|CPU||8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)|
|GPU||10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)|
|GPU Architecture||Custom RDNA 2|
|Internal Storage||Custom 825GB SSD|
|IO Throughput||5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)|
|Expandable Storage||NVMe SSD Slot|
|External Storage||USB HDD Support|
|Optical Drive (optional)||4K UHD Blu-ray Drive|
“A smaller GPU can be a more nimble, more agile GPU, the inference being that PS5’s graphics core should be able to deliver performance higher than you may expect from a TFLOPs number that doesn’t accurately encompass the capabilities of all parts of the GPU,” explained Leadbetter.
The new Custom 825GB SSD will also help increase performance. As Rich explains in his analysis, “Sony’s actual implementation is something else, with performance rated at two orders of magnitude faster than PlayStation 4. 2GB of data can be loaded in one quarter of a second, meaning that in theory, the entirety of PS5’s 16GB can be filled in just two seconds.”
- PS5 supports expandable storage.
- PlayStation 5 will support backward compatibility with seemingly all PS4 games, due to it being “based in part on the PS4’s architecture.”
- PS5 offers a digital-only version and one which can support physical media. Both options will be available at launch.
- Game installations will be more configurable.
- Game sizes should smaller or, at least, better optimised.
- PS5 will have some form of cloud functionality – “We are cloud-gaming pioneers,’ Cerny told Wired, “Our vision should become clear as we head towards launch.”
- The PS5 home screen will be more dynamic.
Confirmed PS5 accessories include a Charging Station (for up to two DualSense controllers), a Pulse 3D Wireless Headset, a Media Remote, and HD Camera with “dual 1080p lenses.”
Also read: PlayStation unveils PS5 wireless controller
PS5 exclusive video games
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Gran Turismo 7
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Project Athia
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure
- Destruction AllStars
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits
- Goodbye Volcano high
- Oddworld: Soulstorm
- Ghostwire Tokyo
- Jett: The Far Shore
- Solar Ash
- Hitman III
- Astro’s Playroom
- Little Devil Inside
- NBA 2K21
- Demon’s Souls
- Resident Evil VIII: Village
- Horizon: Forbidden West