Filipina maid dies after falling from window in Saudi holy city of Medina

Central Medina, Saudi Arabia. File photo

An investigation has been launched after a Filipina maid fell from a sixth-floor window of her employer’s apartment in Saudi Arabia. 

The household worker — whose name has been withheld until her family can be contacted — suffered catastrophic head injuries in the holy city of Medina yesterday (Friday, April 27). 

The maid was clinging to life when she arrived at the Madinah National Hospital at about 3.30pm, but was pronounced dead shortly after.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has now launched an investigation into the death.

In a statement today, the department said that the Philippine Consulate General in Jeddah was already coordinating with local authorities to investigate the incident.

“Consul General Edgar Badajos said authorities are still investigating the death of the Filipina which took place on Friday afternoon,” the statement said.

“Consul General Badajos immediately dispatched a team from the Consulate General which will coordinate with authorities investigating the case.”

Badajos also said the woman’s body was transfered to the King Fahad Hospital in Madinah for a post mortem. Initial autopsy results indicated no signs of any physical abuse, he added.

Based on records, the victim hailed from Basilan in Mindanao and had been working in Saudi Arabia for a little more than two months.

The consulate is now liaising with her Manila-based recruitment agency in order to make contact with the woman’s family.

Earlier this month, we reported on the case of Filipina maid who was scalded with boiling water by her Saudi Arabian employer.

Pahima Alagasi arrived home on April 12 after a four-year battle for justice. She was only able to leave the after the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh secured the assistance of Saudi authorities to finally clear her exit.

Alagasi left the Philippines in March 2014 to as a in Riyadh.

Two months later, she sought refuge at the Embassy suffering serious burns, which she claimed were caused by the mother of her employer pouring boiling water on her back.

The Embassy helped Alagasi, from North Cotabato, to file a charge of maltreatment against her attacker. However, this was thrown out of court after she was unable to prove her accusation.