Saudi Arabia reports American tested positive of COVID-19 after visiting Italy, Philippines

Arabia reported four new coronavirus cases, including an American who recently traveled to Italy and the Philippines, bringing its COVID-19 cases to 15, Monday.

The kingdom temporarily locked down Qatif, its eastern oil-producing province and was now home of Saudi’s 15 coronavirus infected patients. It also suspended schools and university classes nationwide.

Arabia also imposed an entry ban of travelers from nine nations, from neighboring United Arab Emirates to Bahrain, Kuwait, and Egypt.

“Work at all public and private institutions is halted as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of the disease,” the interior ministry said in a statement, adding that only vital services such as and provisioning would be excluded.

Also read: Man in Taiwan positive of COVID-19 after traveling to Philippines

Saudi Arabia reports American tested positive of COVID-19 after visiting Italy, Philippines

Last week, DFA announced Saudi Arabia bans Filipino pilgrims and tourists from entering the country.

Department of Foreign Affairs said the temporary covers the following:

  • Umrah Visa holders; and
  • Tourist Visa holders from countries judged to pose a particularly high risk of spreading the virus, including the Philippines.

Filipinos who hold visas for employment, work visits, business visits, and family visits are still allowed entry into Saudi Arabia.

“The issuance of entry visas to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the purpose of Umrah and/or visiting the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina as as the issuance of tourist visas are suspended indefinitely,” the DFA said in an advisory.