Roque on Wednesday posted on Facebook 10 memes featuring himself. Netizens used his picture, spreading his arms at Boracay’s shores, and edited them into funny memes.
“Akala n’yo ‘di ko nakikita (You think I don’t see this)?” he wrote in a Facebook post.
“Tawa lang kayo (Just keep on laughing),” he added.
The Palace official also used the hashtag “kalmaAkoLangTo” (Keep calm, it’s just me).
In an interview with State-run PTV-4, Roque said he was not offended by the memes.
”Sa panahon ng pandemiya eh natutuwa ako na kahit papano meron tayong kontribusyon para maaliw ang ating mga kababayan (I am glad that I am able to contribute to making people happy at this time of a pandemic),” he said.
“Kailangan po talaga natin na magkaroon ng konting aliw dahil alam niyo naman ang mensahe ng Presidente, bagamat nandiyan ang COVID-19, kaya po natin mabuhay (We really need to find a source of happiness during these times because like what the President said, we need to live even when there is COVID-19),” he added.
Roque memes: Presidential spox pokes fun at himself
Roque captioned the memes with the following:
- A fight with anime character Monkey D. Luffy from “One Piece”
- A cheer dance routine at the (University Athletic Association of the Philippines) UAAP
- A basketball game with characters of the anime “Slam Dunk”
- A game of patintero
- A strong anime character destroying two rock pillars
- A “Spider-Man”-inspired edit
- A reenactment of the parting of the Red Sea
- A battle alongside the “Avengers”
- A gladiator-inspired edit
- A match against Lebron James
“Ang mensahe po ng Presidente, kinakailangang mabuhay po tayo sa kabila ng COVID-19… Panahon na po para tayo ay magbakasyon matapos ng napakatagal na lockdown, lalong-lalo na sa Metro Manila,” Roque said on Monday during his regular press briefing from the white sand shores of Boracay.