The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) confirmed that it would give $100,000 for Australia bushfires, Senator Richard Gordon said Friday.
“Tayo ngayon magbibigay $100,000 sa Australian Red Cross galing sa pinaghirapan natin dito ‘yan, para makatulong doon sa mga nasunugan doon,” Gordon, PRC chairman, said in a forum.
(We will now donate $100,000 to the Australian Red Cross from what we have been doing here, to help those who have been victims of fire there.)
“Tumutulong sila sa atin, marunong din tayo tumulong, hindi nga lang ganon kalaki sa kanila but at least, meron tayong kusang loob diba?” the senator added.
(They are helping us, we also know how to help. It’s not that big but, at least we make an initiative, right?)
Gordon said PRC might meet with the Australian embassy’s officials Monday to give financial assistance.
“Mga Monday siguro (Maybe Monday), we’ll ask a representative of the embassy to come here and take the Red Cross donation of the Philippines with the amount of $100,000,” Gordon said.
PRC has also previously donated financial help to other countries hit by disasters. PRC gave $2.3 million to Japan in 2011 after it was hit by a powerful tsunami and $25,000 to the US in 2005 after it was hit by Hurricane Katrina, to name a few.
Philippine embassy closely monitoring Pinoys amid Australia bushfires
The Philippine Embassy in Canberra is closely monitoring the status of Filipinos amid ongoing Australia bushfire, which already killed nearly half a billion animals.
Department of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Elmer Cato told GMA News Online on Sunday that they have not received any report of any Filipinos affected by the bush fires since January 1.
The Philippine Embassy in Canberra said in January 1 advisory that they are carefully checking bushfire emergencies in New South Wales, Victoria, and South Australia areas.
“While the Embassy has not received reports of Filipinos suffering injuries due to the fires to date, it is closely monitoring developments and communicating with the various agencies and Filipino community leaders in Australia to ascertain the safety and welfare of our kababayans,” it said.
The embassy also advised Filipinos to follow instructions from their local authorities and to take all necessary precautions and recommended actions.