The special task force created to investigate the killing of Los Baños, Laguna mayor Caesar Perez on Thursday night would also probe his inclusion on President Rodrigo Duterte’s narco list.
Philippine National Police spokesman Police Brigadier General Ildebrandi Usana said the mayor’s inclusion on the narco list would be considered one of the crime’s motives.
“The investigator will consider all angles, po,” Usana said in a message.
However, Usana said there is no person of interest is identified yet.
“We have not obtained any information yet as regards the identity of persons responsible for the death of Mayor Perez. There are no persons of interest either,” Usana said.
Mayor Caesar Perez was killed after a shooting incident occurred inside the municipal hall Thursday night, according to the Philippine Information Agency (PIA) Laguna.
According to reports, the mayor was in an open lounge behind the municipal hall when suspects yet to be identified shot him twice at the back of his head.
Respondents rushed him to HealthServ Medical Center, where he died at around 9:50 pm.
Caesar Perez previously served as Vice Governor of Laguna.
Police to probe Los Baños mayor’s inclusion on narco list
In 2019, Mayor Ceasar Perez was one of the 46 mayors included in President Rodrigo Duterte’s list of “narco politicians.”
In March last year, Mayor Caesar Perez denied his alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade, saying his inclusion in the “narco list” was politically motivated.
In 2020 alone, four incumbent and former mayors have been involved in shooting incidents.
In February, Sultan Sumagka Mayor Abdulwahab Sabal from Maguindanao was shot dead in Manila.
In July, Sto. Niño, South Cotabato Mayor Pablo Matinong also died in a shooting incident while Samar Mayor Vicente Limpiado was injured.
Sabal and Matinong were also on Duterte’s “narco list.”