The first time I had Filipino dynamite sticks I was sitting at a resort in Maragusan, on the island of Mindanao. The patrons asked me if I’d like to try them and when I did, they were simply some of the best exploding sticks I’d ever had. The concept is simple and they are easy to make – the entire family will love them for sure!
- 20 chilies (siling pansigang)
- 20 spring roll wrappers (lumpia type)
- ½ kilo ground beef
- 1 40 grams pack taco seasoning mix
- 1 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil – for sautéing
- 3 cups vegetable oil – for frying
- cheddar cheese – cut into strips
- salt and pepper – for desired taste
- Heat oil in pan – Sauté onion and garlic.
- Add ground beef and taco seasoning. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Wash the chilis. Cut them length wise – creating a slit from the cap of the chili and near the tip. Remove the insides of the chili (the seeds etc). It looks quite presentable if you don’t cut the stalk.
- Stuff each chili with your cooked ground beef and a strip of cheese. Wrap stuffed chilis with lumpia wraps as you would a spring roll or shanghai roll.
- Deep fry chili rolls in medium heat in a cooking pan for 5-8 minutes or until the wraps turn into a golden brown. Serve hot.