Transport chiefs have stripped a man of his licence after he was filmed driving a car while sitting in passenger seat.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) announced the decision today (Thursday, June 6) after the video went viral online last week.
The motorist has been identified as Luis Miguel “Miko” Lopez.
In a memorandum issued today, the LTO charged Lopez with multiple violations such as speeding, reckless driving, failure to wear or use a seatbelt and driving a motor vehicle without a steering wheel or Unauthorized Motor Vehicle Modification.
Aside from the revocation of his driver’s license, Lopez has also been slapped with fines for the multiple violations ranging from 1,000 to 5,000 pesos.
According to the LTO, the motorist in question failed to appear before the agency despite the subpoena being issued against him on May 29.
“Mr Lopez did not exert any effort to coordinate and contact the Office to give his side relative to the aforementioned incidents up to this date,” the memorandum order read.
Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said the LTO’s decision should serve as a “stern warning” to motorists to comply with traffic laws and regulations.
“Driving on public roads is a privilege. Owning a licence is a privilege. When we use those roads, we partake in the shared responsibility of road safety. What Mr Lopez did was an utter disregard for the safety of motorists and pedestrians. He poses a danger to the public and, therefore, has no place on our public roads.”
Lopez’s violations surfaced following his social media posts in which he bragged about his dangerous behaviour.
In the video of his stunt, he was seen using his left leg to operate the gas and brake pedals while using his left hand to operate the steering wheel.
“As he was doing these acts, Lopez, in an act of arrogance, even lit a cigarette and smoked,” the LTO said.
He also posted a picture on Facebook which showed him driving a vehicle with a speed of more 120kph without a steering wheel.
And another photo showed him driving along a highway at a speed of over 220kph, although this time not in the passenger seat.
LTO chief Assistant Secretary Edgar Galvante urged the public to report irresponsible motorists.
“The safety of the public is and will always be our top priority, hence, we shall not hesitate to strip the privilege of motorists who wilfully endanger others. We encourage the public to report drivers like Mr. Lopez. We implore our citizens to take part in penalising arrogant road users so they are not emulated,” he said.
Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates
Latest posts by M G Martin (see all)
- Filipinos making a difference overseas could win presidential awards - August 23, 2019
- Teen pregnancy still a problem despite downward trend, says health chief - August 23, 2019
- Early release for ex-mayor jailed for rape and murder dismissed by palace - August 23, 2019