Malacañang said Thursday Philippines is still in the first wave of COVID-19 outbreak, refuting Health Secretary Francisco Duque III’s claim that the country is already experiencing the second wave of virus infection.
“Tayo po ngayon ay nasa [we are now in the] first wave,” presidential spokesman Harry Roque said in a televised Palace briefing.
“Alam niyo po ang medisina, para ring mga abogado ‘yan, iisa lang ang batas namin (pero) iba iba ang interpretasyon. Ganyan din po siguro sa medisina, iisa ang siyensya ,iisa ang datos, iba ang basa,” Roque said.
(You know, medicine is like how lawyers work. We only have one law, but with different interpretations. Maybe it’s also like that in medicine, one science, once data, different reading.)
Philippines still in first wave of COVID-19 outbreak
“We have not yet flattened the curve eh kasi ang second wave nangyayari after na mag-flatten ka. So parang ‘yan ay experience sa Spanish influenza ng 1918, nag-flat siya tapos tsaka ka nagkaroon ng second wave,” he added.
(We have not yet flattened the curve because the second wave occurs after it was flattened. So that was the experience with the Spanish influenza of 1918, it flattened then you have a second wave.)
Dr. Wong, however, claimed earlier that the Philippines had flattened the virus curve already.