Naujan, Oriental Mindoro Mayor Mark Marcos tested positive for COVID-19, the official announced Thursday morning.
The mayor said he first tested positive for the antigen on Tuesday and immediately underwent the RT-PCR test the same day. Thursday morning he received the result confirming his positive test result.
Marcos explained that he took the COVID-19 test because he had been suffering from a cold for a week and also lost his sense of smell. The mayor said he initially thought it was just a side effect of the 1st dose of COVID-19 vaccine that was injected into him last Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a critical zone lockdown now exists in Barangay Laguna in the town after 12 of the 46 residents who underwent the COVID-19 test there tested positive for COVID-19.
The lockdown began on May 25 and will last until June 7, which will allow for extensive contact tracing in the barangay.
According to the executive order issued by the LGU, 46 residents of Barangay Laguna were subjected to the test because it was found that the resident affected by the UK variant who died in March was from there. There are 372 families in the said barangay.
Oriental Mindoro mayor positive for COVID-19
As of May 25, there are 58 active cases out of a total of 214 COVID-19 cases in the town, according to the Oriental Mindoro Provincial Health Office. Here, five have died while 150 have recovered.
Meanwhile, as many as 74 Iloilo City Hall staff tested positive for COVID-19, Thursday morning.
This is according to the latest data from the City Epidemiological Surveillance Unit from May 25 to May 27 after conducting mass testing.
Mass testing of staff continues and up to 897 tested negative for the swab test.
Meanwhile, Iloilo City Hall remained locked down.
The city has recorded 101 new COVID-19 cases, according to the latest data released by the Iloilo City COVID-19 Emergency Operations Center.