The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said on Wednesday night that there was no tsunami alert was raised in Davao and other Mindanao provinces after a 6.4. magnitude earthquake last night, October 16.
Phivolcs director Renato Solidum Jr. said no tsunami threat was expected since the earthquake’s epicenter is in East Tulunan, North Cotabato, The quake occurred at 7:37 p.m. on Wednesday.
No tsunami alert in Davao city
Davao City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office announced on its official Facebook account that Dabawenyos should not panic for there is no tsunami threat to the town following the earthquake in Cotabato.
“There is no tsunami warning issued. The earthquake’s origin is located at Tulunan, North Cotabato,” the post reads citing Pacific Tsunami Warning Center as its source.
The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) reported earlier that the waters in Aplaya and Punta Biaw receded.
The Davao City government also announced residents that evacuation is not mandatory.
“Do not panic if you want to evacuate,” the city government advised.
Meanwhile, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte also decided to cancel classes at all levels today, but clarified government employees have work to serve the people.
Up to 20 people were injured in the quake in Magsaysay, Davao Del Sur.
Anthony Allada, Magsaysay’s information officer, said the victims were immediately taken to hospital, and many homes were damaged in the quake.
According to reports, a child in Maguindanao and another in Davao del Sur died because of the earthquake.