The National Bureau of Investigation began this Sunday the investigation into the murder of Mayor Caesar Perez of Los Baños, Laguna.
This is after the Department of Justice ordered the NBI to investigate Perez’s murder, who was shot inside the compound of the municipal hall on Thursday night.
NBI members looked out the crime scene behind the municipality.
According to initial information, Perez was feeding fish when the shooting happened.
NBI members have also met with municipal officials.
He said the NBI would also go to other places the mayor visited before the shooting, such as a massage parlor.
The NBI is expected to submit a report to the office of Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra within 30 days.
Mayor Perez’s son Aldous also appeared in the media to clear his father’s name on the issue of illegal drugs.
Aldous asserted that the mayor was a good father to his family and the town of Los Baños.
“Ang mami-miss ko diyan, laging nandiyan hindi lang para sa pamilya kundi sa taumbayan,” said Aldous.
NBI probes death of Los Baños mayor
Perez is on President Rodrigo Duterte’s narco-list, but he has previously denied the allegations.
According to Aldous, his father voluntarily approached the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) last year to clear his name.
“Hiningan siya ng drug test, which is negative,” said Aldous.
The mayor’s remains are now in their house in Barangay Batong Malake.
Hernandez revealed that he advised Perez to just wait for the investigation results on the Los Baños mayor’s inclusion on President Rodrigo Duterte’s narco list.
The Laguna governor said he could not say if the mayor’s inclusion on the narco list was related to his killing. However, he noted that no evidence had been found linking Perez to the illegal drug trade so far.
For Hernandez, if authorities had evidence of Perez’s alleged involvement in illegal drugs, they should have shown it by now.