Mother arrested in Iligan City for online sexual abuse of son, aged five

Iligan City
Photograph blurred out to protect the identity of the woman’s victims. Picture by IJM.

A mother has been arrested in Iligan City for allegedly offering to livestream the sexual abuse of children, including her own five-year-old son.

The 33-year-old was detained following a police raid supported by the International Justice Mission (IJM) on Thursday (May 2).

The police’s’s Women and Children Protection Center arrested the woman in her and rescued her son, two girls aged three and one, and another boy aged 11. The other children are believed to be from families living nearby the suspect.

Captain Rassel Tuliao, who led the raid, said: “Online sexual exploitation has become a convenient means of exploitation… that even the parents of these girls are willing to use their innocent children, just to earn money. Online sexual exploitation is a vicious game that must stop.” 

The woman – who cannot be named to protect the anonymity of her victims – is set to face justice for violating the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act or Republic Act No. 9208.

According to the the children are now in the care of the Iligan City Social Welfare and Development Office where they will receive counselling. 

Today (Saturday, May 4) we have also reported on the case of a British music teacher who has been imprisoned for directing the online sexual abuse of children in Iligan City in 2017 and 2018. 

James Alexander, aged 42, was also planning to visit the Philippines in order to rape children as young as four. 

However, he was arrested at Manchester Airport in June last year before he could board a flight to Thailand, where he had been living.

Information from his arrest was shared with Philippine police, who then raided the of one of the abuse facilitators in the city. A 30-year-old mother was arrested and charged for live-streaming sexual abuse. Aside from her nine-year-old daughter, officers also rescued her three sons, aged two, three and 10. Another seven-year-old girl, who was seen in a photo shared online by the suspect during surveillance, was also rescued. All five children were taken into protective custody.

Follow our Facebook page for daily updates