Metro Manila mayors will ban the traditional Christmas caroling and parties this holiday season to prevent COVID-19 transmissions, the chairman of the capital region’s council said Friday.
“Naglabas na kami ng executive order na walang physical caroling na mangyayari dito sa darating na Kapaskuhan,” Parañaque City Mayor Edwin Olivarez told Teleradyo.
(We have issued an executive order that there will be no physical caroling this coming Christmas.)
Private companies are also discouraged from holding the traditional Christmas activities, as only up to 10 people could attend gatherings under the general community quarantine (GCQ).
The government has previously urged the public to spend Christmas with family members only.
Olivarez said they would be establishing task forces to monitor the no-caroling policy all over Metro Manila. They would also ask barangay officials to monitor carolers in their jurisdiction.
Early this month, the local governments of Manila and Quezon City have banned Christmas caroling in the streets over the holidays amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Metro Manila mayors ban Christmas caroling, parties
“I and the (Metro Manila) mayors have talked, and they are very cautious about shifting to modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) here in Manila,” Galvez said on Thursday.
“Their recommendation is that in case there will be an easing up of restrictions, maybe it could take place next year after the holidays,” Galvez said as new COVID-19 cases increased in Davao City and Benguet province.
Most parts of the country have been under general community quarantine (GCQ) or MGCQ for the past few weeks.
Meanwhile, Metro Manila, Batangas, Iloilo City, Bacolod City, Tacloban City, Iligan City, and Lanao del Sur would be under GCQ until end-November. At the same time, the rest of the Philippines remained under MGCQ.
Galvez, who is also the vaccine czar, said the local governments in Metro Manila had been directed to remind residents to be extra careful during the Christmas season.