Manila City Mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso has ordered the local government’s enforcement units to tighten all health and security measures as COVID-19 cases continue to rise in the nation’s capital.
In a directional meeting on Monday morning, Mayor Domagoso ordered the Manila Police District to intensify police presence in the streets, barangays and major thoroughfares to strictly enforce minimum health protocols.
All 14 MPD station commanders led by MPD chief Police Brigadier General Leo Francisco were present during the meeting called by the Mayor.
“Lalo nating higpitan ang pagpapatupad ng minimum health protocols sa lahat ng kalsada at barangay sa Maynila, upang matigil ang tumataas na bilang ng kaso ng COVID-19 sa lungsod,” the Mayor told General Francisco.
But the Mayor reminded the police to remain courteous to the public: “Mahigpit tayo, ngunit magalang pa rin sa Batang Maynila.”
Likewise, the Mayor informed Manila Barangay Bureau (MBB) Director Romy Bagay that barangay-level lockdowns are now authorized should COVID-19 cases rise in communities.
“Kapag tuloy-tuloy na lumobo ang kaso ng COVID-19 sa alinmang barangay, automatic mong i-lockdown. Coordinate with the MPD and General Francisco for the security plan,” Mayor Domagoso told the MBB chief.
Hundreds of COVID-19 safety marshals will again be deployed in the nation’s capital as Domagoso ordered the Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau (MTPB) to augment the security personnel of the MPD.
Manila tightens security, health measures amid rising COVID-19 cases
“Muling pagalain mo ang mga COVID-19 Safety Marshals natin. Magsaway sila ng mga pasaway sa kalsada. Tuloy-tuloy tayo, walang patid, lalo na sa susunod na dalawang linggo,” Mayor Domagoso told MTPB Director Dennis Viaje.
Food security is also at the forefront of Manila City’s COVID-19 response.
Mayor Domagoso reminded the General Services Office, Department of Engineering and Public Works and Department of Public Services to prepare the food boxes to be distributed to more than 700,000 families in the city.
This directive is part of the city’s COVID-19 Food Security Program, where more than 700,000 families are assured of a monthly food box from the Manila City government.
As of writing, Manila City has recorded about 825 active cases. So far, 27,447 Manila City residents have recovered while 813 succumbed to the deadly disease.
Domagoso assured that the Manila City government, through the Manila Health Department and the city’s six district hospitals, remains steadfast in providing healthcare services to its constituents amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Mass swab testing is still shouldered by the city government, and free inoculation of city government healthcare workers using available COVID-19 vaccines remain continuous.
Source: Manila Public Information Office