The video of a delivery rider who was stopped by guards and police for allegedly delivering “lugaw” or porridge in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan went viral. The authorities, however, insisted that the porridge was “non-essential.”
In a report by Jamie Santos on GMA News “24 Oras” on Wednesday, driver Marvin Ignacio said he felt scared when he was stopped by the authorities in Barangay Muzon.
The authorities allegedly explained to Ignacio that he was not allowed to roam because of the existing curfew.
The riders were forced to go home and the place where Ignacio was closed.
The woman Ignacio was talking to, repeatedly said that the lugaw or porridge was not “essential”.
Ignacio just humbled himself for fear of being ticketed.
“Sinabi po namin na food po ‘yung lugaw, hindi na po namin in-insist kasi nga po ayaw po kaming pakinggan, nagpakumbaba na lang din po ako,” said Ignacio.
‘Lugaw’ delivery blocked; porridge allegedly ‘non-essential’
“Ayaw niya pong tanggapin na valid reason na food po ‘yung lugaw na pagkain din po siya, essentials din po siya ng mga tao,” he added.
The rider said that hopefully, the implementers of the guidelines from the IATF will be more oriented to prevent such incidents.
“‘Yung mga barangay official, lalo na po ‘yung mga nasa lugar ng probinsiya like Bulacan, hindi po sila ganoon ka-knowledgeable pagdating po sa Grab food sa generation ngayon. Sana po ‘yung i-implement ng IATF, DILG is sinusunod ng LGU,” said Ignacio.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque had earlier said that the ECQ allowed food delivery.
“A video, which has been circulating online, has come to our attention. Lugaw, or any food item for that matter, is considered an essential good. Delivery of food items must remain unhampered 24/7,” said Presidential spokesman Harry Roque in a statement.
Roque appealed to ECQ enforcers not to stop food delivery riders at checkpoints.
Ignacio said the owner of the lugawan is considering filing a complaint against the guards.