Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said a low-pressure area off Catanduanes is expected to develop into a tropical depression to be named Butchoy by Thursday.
According to Pagasa weather bulletin issued 4 am, the LPA was last spotted 50 kilometers east-northeast of Virac, Catanduanes, or 245 kilometers north-northwest of Borongan City, Eastern Samar.
“Anumang oras ngayong araw ay posible nang maging bagyo ang nasabing low pressure area at tatawagin natin itong bagyong Butchoy,” Pagasa weather specialist Raymond Ordinario said in a weather report.
(The said low pressure area could possibly develop into tropical depression anytime today and it will be named Butchoy.)
“Sa ngayon nakikita natin na maapektuhan nito ang Bicol Region area kasama na ang Eastern Visayas, at posible itong tumahak sa Central at Northern Luzon pagdating ng weekend,” he added.
(We can now see that it will affect the Bicol Region and Eastern Visayas, and may traverse through Central and Northern Luzon this weekend.)
The LPA and the southwesterly wind flow will bring cloudy skies with scattered to widespread rains and thunderstorms in Metro Manila, Visayas, Central Luzon, Bicol Region, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, and Isabela, the Pagasa weather bulletin stated.
Mindanao and the rest of Cagayan Valley would experience cloudy skies with scattered rain showers and thunderstorms due to the LPA.
Localized thunderstorms meanwhile would bring partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rain showers or thunderstorms to the rest of Luzon.
The forecast temperature range in key cities/areas:
- Metro Manila: 24 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Baguio City: 17 to 24 degrees Celsius
- Laoag City: 24 to 33 degrees Celsius
- Tuguegarao: 24 to 33 degrees Celsius
- Legazpi City: 25 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Tagaytay City: 23 to 29 degrees Celsius
- Puerto Princesa City: 25 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Iloilo: 25 to 30 degrees Celsius
- Cebu: 25 to 29 degrees Celsius
- Tacloban City: 24 to 29 degrees Celsius
- Cagayan De Oro City: 24 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Valencia City: 20 to 30 degrees Celsius
- Zamboanga City: 23 to 32 degrees Celsius
- Davao City: 26 to 32 degrees Celsius
Philippines’ first typhoon Ambo on May left ₱185.8 million worth of damages to the agriculture industry, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported.
It also affected At least 25,000 families or over 82,000 people affected in 59 cities and municipalities nationwide, the NDRRMC reported.