Some government officials have recommended implementing nationwide restrictions on the movement of the unvaccinated in conjunction with the continuing increase in COVID-19 cases.
Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) officials want other local government units (LGUs) to follow the Metro Manila Council’s (MMC) move to limit the movement of the unvaccinated unless it is an “essential” trip.
It is said to be a way to protect the unvaccinated against COVID-19 and prevent hospitals from overcrowding.
“We are recommending that this policy in [the National Capital Region] also be adopted by the entire country, even in areas po na hindi pa nagsu-surge, dahil alam po natin na it is only a matter of time na itong omicron ay kumalat na sa buong bansa,” said Vince Dizon, deputy chief implementer of the National Task Force Against COVID-19, at a meeting with President Duterte on Tuesday night.
After Metro Manila, the Calabarzon region is the next set to ban those who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 from leaving their homes.
This comes after the regional IATF approved a memorandum limiting the movement of the unvaccinated amid the rapidly increasing number of those falling ill, acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles said Wednesday.
“Hinihikayat ng [Regional Task Force] Calabarzon ang lahat ng local task forces sa region na i-adopt ang nasabing resolution,” said Nograles.
Limited movement of unvaccinated recommended nationwide
Meanwhile, following the MMC’s resolution, the local government units in Manila are expected to pass their orders.
In Parañaque City, Mayor Edwin Olivarez issued an order prohibiting the unvaccinated unless they buy essential goods or exercise within the barangay, subdivision, or compound.
He also said that they could not eat outside, even though Alert Level 3 allows outdoor dining of the vaccinated.
Meanwhile, as the number of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines continues to rise, expect more areas to be put on granular lockdown, according to the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
So far, only eight areas have been granular lockdown, in which nine houses and 17 individuals have been affected.
“Pero ine-expect po natin na within the week, dadami po itong granular lockdown areas dahil po sa tumataas na kaso ng COVID,” said DILG Secretary Eduardo Año.