A 40-year-old Korean man who was kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf more than nine months ago has been found dead in the town of Indanan.
Army officials said that the remains of Nwi Seong Hong was discovered by near the Sulu State College.
The Army took the body to Kuta Heneral Teodulfo Bautista Station Hospital in the town of Jolo for post-mortem examination.
Authorities verified that the body was that of Mr Nwi.
An initial investigation showed that Abu Sayyaf brought the remains to the area after he died of a severe illness while being held captive.
In the post-mortem examination, hospital personnel found no gunshot wounds and have not yet determined a cause of death.
“Based on the police intelligence reports… [the death] could be due to illness because they monitored last week the group of the abductors reportedly ordering to buy some medicines,” officials said.
The remains of the Korean will be flown to Manila after consultation with the South Korean Embassy in the city.
The Korean was kidnapped by the Islamic State-affiliated terrorist group near Barangay Poblacion in the town of RT Lim, Zamboange Sibugay province on January 24.
Mr Nwi was having dinner with his son when the attack took place. His son managed to escape capture after he fought back.
Latest posts by Timothy Walker (see all)
- Fil-Am and American turn themselves in on drug run in US - November 7, 2017
- Philippines suspends Uber, Grab vehicle registrations as backlog mounts - November 7, 2017
- Mad, bad or misunderstood? What is Kim Jong Un really thinking? - August 28, 2017