MANILA, Philippines – A Hong Kong journalist who was among those who “heckled” President Aquino during an APEC Summit in Indonesia in 2013, has been blacklisted from the Philippines and barred from covering the summit in Manila last week.
Immigration officials said that Lui Tsz Kin, arrived on a Cebu Pacific flight originating from Hong Kong on November 16.
He was to arrive the same day and begin coverage on the APEC Summit in Manila for the 18th and 19th.
However, his name appeared on the airport blacklist for being one of the nine Hong Kong journalists who shouted at President Aquino in an ambush interview at the 2013 APEC Summit in Bali, Indonesia.
An Immigration agent said the blacklist was issued on November. 20, 2014 by the Bureau of Immigration on the recommendation of the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency.
All nine of the Hong Kong journalists were listed as “undesirables” for the behaviour in the previous summit and were prevented from entering the country to cover the 2015 APEC Summit.
The “heckling” incident happened on October 6, 2013, at the Bali International Convention Center as President Aquino walked past a group of reporters from Now TV, Radio-TV Hong Kong and Commercial Radio, all Hong Kong-based media outlets.
The Hong Kong journalists started shouting questions in a rude manner at Mr Aquino pertaining to the August 23, 2010, Quirino Grandstand hostage crisis which left eight of their compatriots dead.
Indonesian organizers of the 21st Apec summit in Bali immediately sanctioned the nine journalists for “screaming” at a visitor, and revoked their credentials, barring them from further covering the APEC economic leaders’ meetings.
Immigration noted that Lui Tsz Kin was returned to Hong Kong the following day after he was deported back to his original point of departure.
Like Us on Facebook