The case of slain transgender Jennifer Laude is now closed after the Bureau of Immigration deported US Marine Joseph Scott Pemberton after he was pardoned by President Rodrigo Duterte.
Below is the complete report of BI posted on their Facebook account:
The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has successfully deported convicted American soldier Joseph Scott Pemberton, following his release from prison.
Pemberton, who has made headlines after being convicted of killing transgender Jennifer Laude in 2014, has likewise been banned from re-entering the Philippines.
According to the BI, Pemberton was deported and boarded a military aircraft bound for the United States, at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, at exactly 9:14 this morning.
“As a consequence of the deportation order against him, Pemberton has been placed in the Bureau’s blacklist, perpetually banning him from coming back,” said BI Commissioner Jaime Morente.
Morente revealed that Pemberton has been in the BI’s blacklist since Sept. 16, 2015, when he was ordered deported by the BI’s Board of Commissioners for being an undesirable alien, after being charged for murder, and later being convicted of homicide.
Said order was signed by then BI Chief Siegfred Mison, and Deputies Gilberto Repizo and Abdullah Mangotara.
Pemberton reportedly filed a motion for reconsideration in November 2015, which was subsequently denied.
The resolution stated that Pemberton’s continued presence in the Philippines is not conducive “for the safety, welfare, happiness, or good order of Philippine society.”
“His criminal case is separate from his immigration case,” said Morente. “The Bureau saw that he is a risk to public safety, having been found guilty of the crime. Hence he was tagged as an undesirable alien, and will be expelled from the Philippines,” he added.
The BI ordered Pemberton’s deportation more than three months before the Olongapo court rendered its verdict, which found him guilty of homicide and sentenced him to 6 to 12 years in prison.
“Following standard deportation procedures, we had to wait until he completed serving his sentence before we could implement the deportation order,” explained Morente.
It can be recalled that earlier this month, the Olongapo Regional Trial Court approved Pemberton’s release after he was considered to have completed his sentence. Custody was then turned over to the BI on Friday, for the implementation his deportation.
“We have coordinated with the Bureau of Corrections for his turnover to our agents upon his release,” said Morente.
Morente shared that Pemberton underwent regular processing and booking procedures, and was required to secure clearances from the appropriate offices, as well as to present a travel document, and outbound travel arrangements, before being deported.
“Upon completion of the required documents, we immediately implemented the deportation,” shared Morente. “He was escorted by BI agents to ensure that he has boarded his aircraft. Should he attempt to re-enter the country after being deported, he will be denied entry and will be excluded,” he stated.