The Inter-Agency Council for Traffic (i-ACT) opposes the Department of Transportation’s proposal to increase the capacity of passengers on public transport.
According to Reynante Sagragao, team leader of i-ACT Special Unit Bravo, it is not yet time to increase the number of passengers who can ride in public utility vehicles (PUVs) such as buses.
“Ang mga commuter sasang-ayon ‘yan pero on our part medyo malakas pa ang COVID ngayon, malakas pa ang hawaan,” said Sagragao.
“Baka mamaya, magpuno ka diyan, mag-uwi pa ng COVID sa pamilya ang mga ‘yan,” he added.
Transportation Secretary Arthur had earlier said he had proposed to the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases an additional 5 to 10 percent capacity on PUVs.
Tugade wants to increase capacities because he has recently noticed an increase in PUV riders’ number, also due to the reopening of more businesses and workplaces.
I-ACT is one of the agencies monitoring the overloading of public utility vehicles or PUVs during this pandemic.
This Thursday, the group went to Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City to preview the buses’ situation, but they did not find any overloading.
i-ACT opposes increasing public transport capacity
So they set up at the EDSA Bus Carousel in Monumento, Caloocan, to command the traffic and queue of passengers for free rides.
According to Sagragao, the enforcers are speeding up the arrival of the buses so that people can board continuously and the queue does not accumulate.
It also ensures compliance with health and safety protocols, such as reminding to wear a face shield when boarding the bus.
Metro Manila and some neighboring provinces, NCR Plus, will remain under general community quarantine (GCQ) “with restrictions” until the end of June, President Rodrigo Duterte announced Monday night.
Duterte said NCR and Bulacan would be placed in the GCQ “with some restrictions,” while Rizal, Laguna, and Cavite will be in the GCQ “with heightened restrictions.”