Hong Kong has confirmed its first case of the Zika virus this week – putting the Asian financial centre on high alert.
Controller of the Centre for Health Protection of the Department of Health, Leung Ting-hung, said relevant measures had been taken to prevent the virus from spreading further.
Officials said they are in fear the mosquito-borne virus which has wreaked havoc throughout Latin America and beyond.
Authorities in Hong Kong said the patient is a 38-years-old woman and began developing symptoms since August 20.
In February of this year, a mainland Chinese man flew into Hong Kong and was later diagnosed with the Zika virus in his homeland. Officials said that during his stay it was virtually impossible for him to have caused an outbreak.
Latest posts by Timothy Walker (see all)
- Fil-Am and American turn themselves in on drug run in US - November 7, 2017
- Philippines suspends Uber, Grab vehicle registrations as backlog mounts - November 7, 2017
- Mad, bad or misunderstood? What is Kim Jong Un really thinking? - August 28, 2017