Graduating student dies while cleaning professor’s backyard

A graduating BS Forestry student died after he got electrocuted while cleaning his professor’s backyard in Brgy Raois, Vigan City, Sur last Saturday.

Police have identified the victim as Benedict Gom-uyen, a 20-year-old graduating student of Sur Polytechnic College in the town of Sta. Maria.

It was learned that the power cord was hidden in the branches of the tree Gom-uyen was cutting inside the backyard of his teacher, Elena Ato, 56, at around 3:35 pm.

Aside from getting electrocuted, the student fell headfirst from the tree, which caused severe injury in his head.

The responders tried to take Gom-uyen to the Sur Gabriela Silang General Hospital, but the doctors declared him dead.

The authority assesses the responsibility of the teacher in the accident to determine if she has legal liability.

Also read: DepEd to investigate why student-athletes packed like sardines in a truck

75-year-old grandma mistaken as killed in North Cotabato

A 75-year-old grandmother was stabbed and killed by an unknown suspect who allegedly mistaken the victim as an “aswang” in Sitio Natutungan, Brgy. Bagumbayan, Magpet, North Cotabato, Sunday night.

Magpet Police chief Captain Rolando Dillera Jr. identified the victim, Victoria Saavedra, a widow and resident of Brgy. Santo Niño, Arakan, North Cotabato.

According to the report, her daughter, Angeles Terania, left her mother Saavedra alone on Sunday afternoon in the area. Still, when she returned at 10.00 pm, the victim was already bathing in her and lifeless.

Read the full story about 75-year-old grandma mistaken as aswang here.