Shopping malls in areas under the GCQ (general community quarantine) may be allowed to reopen starting May 1, provided that it will observe measures that would discourage “lingering,” officials said.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said under the GCQ, malls should discontinue its free Wifi, and the air conditioning should be set to 26 degrees Celsius. Only visitors aged 21 to 59 will be allowed to enter the malls, he added.
He also said mall goers are required to wear face masks and use sanitizers. As per the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease, “non-leisure” shops will be allowed to reopen, and store owners must meet “minimum health standards.”
Mall operators are also mandated to provide masks and gloves to employees as a precautionary measure.
President Rodrigo Duterte decided on Friday to lift the enhanced community quarantine for areas with low to moderate risk of COVID-19 spread.
Roque also discussed the guidelines for the implementation of the GCQ after April 30:
- Workers under sector one, two, and three can work through work in a phased system.
- Children aged 0-20 and elderly aged 60 and above are still urged to stay home.
- Mall opening would be allowed except for leisure shops.
- Priority and essential construction projects could resume.
- Public transportation could resume at reduced capacity.
- Local Government Units could impose curfew during the night for non-workers.
- Social Amelioration Program budget for these provinces may be reallocated to those who are still under the enhanced community quarantine.
- Higher Educational Institutions are allowed to finish and give credentials to students
- 100% closure of schools because virus transmitters are majorly the young people aged 0-20
- Late re-opening of classes on September except for online learning
- 100% closure of leisure facilities such as fitness gym and gaming shops
- Prohibition of tourism and gatherings including religious conferences
Areas under the Enhanced Community Quarantine until May 15
- NCR– Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, Valenzuela, Quezon City, Marikina, Pasig, Taguig, Makati, Manila, Mandaluyong, San Juan, Pasay, Parañaque, Las Piñas, Pateros, and Muntinlupa
- Region III- Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac, and Zambales
- Region IV-A- Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon
Areas subject for rechecking