A freed murder convict surrendered to the police authorities, Thursday night.
Jesus Ranoco Negro Jr., 50, lived as a free man for a year he benefitted from the good conduct time allowance or GCTA law.
Negro was released from National Bilibid Prison (NBP) in August 2018.
But when Negro learned President Rodrigo Duterte’s order on Wednesday, September 4, he turned himself into Bogo Police in Cebu. Duterte gave the released convicts 15 days to surrender or else; they will be declared fugitives. Duterte also said he would provide P1 million bounty on each freed prisoner.
Negro surrendered at the Bogo City Police Station, 7 p.m. Thursday, September 5. Police brought him to Regional Special Operations Group (RSOG) of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.
Negro was guilty of eight counts of murder and one count of frustrated murder in 1998. He was imprisoned in a Cebu jail and was transferred to the NBP in Metro Manila on March 1990.
He had been sentenced to spend at least 30 years in jail.
Negro said that in 30 years, he showed good conduct. He had never been sent to solitary confinement.
Freed murder convict was a soldier
Negro was a soldier in Cebu. But in 1988, he encountered a group of bystanders in Minglanilla, Cebu. The bystanders made fun of him and their confrontation turned into a violent one, resulting in deaths and Negros’ misfortune. He surrendered himself to the police.
While in prison, Negro studied short courses offered to inmates. Examples are guidance and counseling, English communication, and fine arts.
He said that as a soldier, he considered President Duterte as his commander-in-chief. He will obey as he was ordered.