On Teleradyo, Catanduanes Gov. Joseph Cua said that local government funding had been depleted because it has been used in coronavirus response.
“Ang pakiusap ko dahil ang relief goods ilang araw lang ubos na, so bagsak ang ekonomiya natin, sana magkaroon tayo ng program na Food for Works na kung saan ‘yung mga taong walang trabaho, tutulong na maglinis sa kalsada para ma-restore ang ating lugar at bayaran natin ng pera or kahit pagkain na lang or relief goods para ma-sustain naman ang kanilang pagkain,” Cua said.
According to the initial report, nearly 11,000 houses were damaged. Some areas are still isolated due to collapsed poles and landslide incidents.
“Sana mabigyan kami ng GI sheets at hardware materials para maibigay sa mga tao,” he said.
Up to 80 percent of the power poles were also knocked down, so many areas were without electricity, and it could take several months before the supply was restored.
He also said that cellphones do not have a signal.
How to donate to Catanduanes
Cua posted on his Facebook page on how to give donations for the people of Catanduanes.
“Please coordinate with and send a message to this page for easier tracking and management of donations. Likewise, as posted earlier, the Ando Cua Foundation offers free logistic services to and from Virac, Catanduanes. Please deliver the goods to Ocean Coast Shipping, 33 Kaingin Rd, Balintawak, Quezon City,” it said.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Monday Rolly has “completely isolated” Catanduanes.
He said the province now depends on airlifted assistance and could only be contacted using satellite phones provided by the Office of Civil Defense.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) reported Tuesday that P6,662,741 worth of assistance has so far been given to Super Typhoon Rolly victims in different regions.
DSWD said Sunday that the government has a total of P884 million worth of standby funds and stockpiles to help families affected by Rolly.