Filipino citizens are urged to leave Yemen immediately following the resignation of government officials, including the president. It is believed that rebels have taken control of Sana’a, Yemen’s capital city.
“The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh is monitoring political and security developments in Sana’a and the rest of the Republic of Yemen as it continues to urge all Filipinos in the country to leave as soon as possible,” the Department of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday.
”The embassy continues to assess the political and security situation in Yemen in light of the recent resignations of high officials of the Yemeni Government and after the Houthi occupation of the presidential palace,” it said.
Yemen was previously placed under Crisis Alert Level Three (voluntary repatriation) and a total deployment ban of new hires and rehires has been enforced.
“All Filipinos are urged to avoid unnecessary travel outside their homes which should also be fortified against stray bullets. The embassy strongly urges them not to participate in any mass demonstrations and to avoid areas of conflict,” the DFA said.
“If necessary, they are advised to leave their places of residence which are in or near areas of conflict,” it said.
“All Filipinos are urged to monitor the embassy’s website at www.riyadhpe.dfa.gov.ph for further advisories,” DFA said.