Lechon Kawali is loved by almost everyone in the Philippines, and this simple, easy-to-follow recipe is will always guarantee your popularity, wherever you are in the country (except perhaps at a vegetarian conference – the delicious smell will drive them nuts!)
- 1-1/2 lb. pork liempo (pork belly), cut into serving pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. salt
- water, for boiling
- oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2-1/2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- chilli peppers (optional)
- Place pork pieces in a large pot, add water and cover – Add garlic, pepper or peppercorns and salt.
- Bring water to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about an hour,until meat is tender – drain
- Deep-fry liempo pieces in batches until golden brown and blisters appear on the skin.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix together all ingredients for the sauce.
- Serve with chopped lechon kawali.
Latest posts by Timothy Walker (see all)
- Fil-Am and American turn themselves in on drug run in US - November 7, 2017
- Philippines suspends Uber, Grab vehicle registrations as backlog mounts - November 7, 2017
- Mad, bad or misunderstood? What is Kim Jong Un really thinking? - August 28, 2017