Award-winning Filipino director Peque Gallaga dies at age 76 due to complications arising from past health conditions.
Gallaga’s most significant achievement in film is “Oro, Plata, Mata,” which he directed after winning a scriptwriting contest sponsored by the Experimental Cinema of the Philippines. He has received an award from the International Film Festival of Flanders-Ghent, Belgium in 1983, a Special Jury Award from the Manila International Film Festival, and the 2004 Gawad CCP Para sa Sining.
He also directed the movies Virgin Forest, Scorpio Nights, Unfaithful Wife, and the “Manananggal” episode of Shake, Rattle, and Roll I.
In 1986 he started co-directing films with Lore Reyes, with whom he shared directing credits for Shake Rattle & Roll 2, Shake Rattle & Roll 3, Shake Rattle & Roll 4, Baby Love, and more than twenty other films to date. In the animated movie Dayo, Gallaga voiced the character of “Lolo Nano,” the resident sage of Elementalia.
Gallaga and Reyes won Best Director and Best Screenplay for Magic Temple in the 1996 Metro Manila Film Festival.
Peque Gallaga dies at 76
Below is the list of films Gallaga has made in his more than 40 years of career as a film-maker:
- Binhi (1973)
- Oro, Plata, Mata (1982)
- Bad Bananas sa Puting Tabing (1983)
- Shake, Rattle & Roll (1984) (segment “Manananggal”)
- Scorpio Nights (1985)
- Virgin Forest (1985)
- Unfaithful Wife (1986)
- Once Upon a Time (with Lorenzo A. Reyes, 1987)
- Kid, Huwag Kang Susuko (with Lorenzo A. Reyes, 1987)
- Hiwaga sa Balete Drive (with Lorenzo A. Reyes, 1988)
- Tiyanak (with Lorenzo A. Reyes, 1988)
- Isang Araw Walang Diyos (with Lorenzo A. Reyes, 1989)
- Abandonada (with Lorenzo A. Reyes, 1989)
- Trese (1990)
- Shake, Rattle & Roll II (with Lore Reyes, 1990)
- Adventures of Gary Leon at Kuting (1991)
- Shake, Rattle & Roll III (1991)
- Aswang (1992)
- Shake, Rattle & Roll IV (1992) (segment “Ang Guro”)
- Dugo ng Panday (1993)
- Darna: Ang Pagbabalik (1994)
- Batang X (1995)
- Baby Love (1995)
- Magic Temple (1996)
- Magic Kingdom (Alamat ng Damortis) (1997)
- Halik ng Bampira (1997)
- Diliryo (1997)
- Gangland (1998)
- Puso ng Pasko (1998)
- Ang Kabit ni Mrs. Montero (1999)
- Unfaithful Wife 2: Sana’y Huwag Akong Maligaw (1999)
- Sa Piling ng Aswang (with Lore Reyes, 1999)
- Pinoy Blonde (2005)
- Agaton & Mindy (2009)
- Seduction (2013)
- Sonata (with Lore Reyes, 2013)
- T’yanak (with Lore Reyes, 2014)
The director’s family is yet to disclose the details of Gallaga’s death.