Filipina nurse honoured by Queen for role in London Bridge terror attack

ADVERTISING
Filipina nurse
Filipina nurse Joy Ongcachuy was among those made an Officer of the British Empire – OBE – in Britain’s New Year Honours List. (Photo courtesy of Barts Health NHS Trust)

A Filipina nurse has been honoured by the Queen in Britain’s New Year Honours List for her service following the London Bridge terror attack.

Joy Ongcachuy was decorated alongside 42 others who were also involved in the aftermath of the bloody terror attack. 

ADVERTISING

She is now an ‘Officer of the Order of the British Empire’, with the initials OBE after her name.

She has worked at The Royal London Hospital since 2002 as a scrub nurse. She was promoted as robotic lead nurse in 2017.

On the night of June 3 of that year, when a terrorist ploughed into crowds of people and stabbed pedestrians on London Bridge, Ongcachuy was among those who worked tirelessly to assist the injured.

ADVERTISING

Joy said: “I was working the night shift that night and I heard the anaesthetist’s bleep go off. We already had a really sick patient in one of our theatres, so I had to get our other theatres ready and pull a team of nurses, allied health professionals and operating department practitioners together.

“We opened an additional six theatres that night and everyone I called dropped everything they were doing to come to the aid of the patients. No one panicked; everyone was calm and so supportive.”

The Filipina nurse said she was overwhelmed at receiving the recognition. 

“My daughter is so proud of me,” she said. “I am glad I made the UK my home all those years ago – to be welcomed and recognised by Her Majesty is overwhelming, humbling and exciting all at once.”

Today (Friday, January 4) British Ambassador to the Philippines Daniel Pruce congratulated Joy.

“Many congratulations to Joy Ongcachuy for her richly deserved OBE in recognition of her work treating victims of the London Bridge terrorist attack in June 2017,” he said. 

As we previously reported, among the victims of the attack was British Filipino entrepreneur James McMullan. The 32-year-old had developed an internet-based business to “revolutionise education” and was “on the verge of signing his first contract, a $1.5million deal”.

Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates

ADVERTISING