A Filipina maid allegedly murdered by her employer in Kuwait was found with her body “black and blue” and violated with a cucumber.
The latest killing of a Filipino worker in the Middle Eastern country was announced by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) late yesterday (Thursday, May 16).
The victim was identified as Constancia Lago Dayag, a native of Agadanan, Isabela.
“Initial reports reaching my office indicate that Ms Dayag was brought to Al Sabah Hospital the other night but was declared dead on arrival,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said in a statement.
“Her body bore various contusions and haematoma,” he said, adding that a cucumber had also been forced into her body.
“Aside from apparent violation of the agreement on the protection of OFWs [overseas Filipino workers] between our government and Kuwait, there appears to have been a breach of the employment contract by the foreign employer,” he said.
The labor chief said he was “taking the Kuwaiti Government to task for the gruesome death of yet another Filipino worker in the hands of her employer in Kuwait”.
He also said he had already ordered the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration and Philippine Overseas Labor Office in Kuwait “to go after the foreign and local agencies” who deployed the Filipina worker there.
Bello condemned the killing and described Ms Dayag’s “horrible fate” as “deeply saddening.”
“We extend our sympathies to the family… and we shall do everything to find justice for her death,” he added.
Last year, the Philippine government ordered a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait following series of deaths and abuses, including Joanna Demafelis, whose body was found in a freezer.
The ban was lifted after the two countries forged a deal to protect Filipino migrant workers in the Gulf state.
Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates