Former President Ferdinand Marcos is set to receive a Hero’s Burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes’ Cemetery) on September 18.
Former Senator, and son of the former president, Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos told reporters that President Duterte has given him the ‘green light’ for his father’s burial at the Libingan Cemetery after meeting the president earlier in the week.
Bongbong said his family is coordinating with the Armed Forces of the Philippines which has full jurisdiction over the cemetery.
When asked at the Presidential Palace on the event, officials were tight-lipped saying they knew nothing of the event happening.
President Marcos has been kept in a mausoleum in Illocos Norte, the Marco’s family province.
The event will coincide with the 99th birthday of the former president.
Many Filipinos do not believe Marcos belongs in the Heroes’ Cemetery. A strong opposition to the choice has been ongoing since his remains were flown back to the Philippines after his death in Hawaii.