The government may allow face-to-face classes, but on a case-to-case basis, National Task Force Against COVID-19 chief implementer Carlito Galvez Jr. said Wednesday.
Galvez recently inspected Our Lady of Fatima University in Valenzuela City, which is renovating its campus for COVID-19 protocols compliance.
“Hindi pupuwede sila po na mag-open hanggang hindi po natin na-inspect,” he said at the Laging Handa briefing.
“There is a third party that will really validate if they follow the minimum health standard at saka iyong reengineering at reconfiguration ay nagawa ayon sa sinasaad ng ating DOH [Department of Health] sa minimum health standard protocols.”
Galvez, who is also the vaccine czar, said he is okay with in-person classes for medical courses. He cited the national task force already allowed the University of the Philippines College of Medicine to conduct a face-to-face clinical internship program.
“Mayroon tayong mga tinatawag na mga courses na dapat talaga mayroon talagang tinatawag na experiential learning or tinatawag nating face-to-face,” he said.
The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) indicated yesterday that face-to-face classes would be optional for universities and colleges.
Last week, Department of Education Secretary Leonor Briones said the Department of Education (DepEd) was still studying the possibility of gradually resuming face-to-face classes.
Face-to-face classes approval on case-to-case basis – Galvez
“Titingnan po namin, makikipag-coordinate po kami kay Secretary Briones on how we could really expedite and look at the possibility na magkaroon po ng tinatawag [na] reconfiguration ang different schools so that we can really follow and obey iyong minimum health standard,” Galvez said.
“Nakita po namin dati kasi na talagang based doon sa mga studies ay talagang nagiging super spreaders ang mga bata. At nakita po natin dito sa ngayon na hindi pa po tayo puwedeng magkumpiyansa, kasi iyong ating mga figures hindi pa po irreversible,” he added.
In May, President Rodrigo Duterte said no classes would be open until a COVID-19 vaccine is made available.
“It spells disaster,” Duterte said in a televised address, noting he would not risk the lives of students without a vaccine.
Senators, lawmakers, parents, and teachers at the time also opposed the opening of classes without a vaccine against the pandemic.