President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order (EO) No. 128 that would adjust the minimum access volume (MAV) and tariff rates for imported pork is “good as approved,” Senate President Vicente Sotto III said Thursday.
“Palagay ko good as approved na ‘yan kasi nung mag-usap kami ni [Finance Secretary] Sonny Dominguez, that I gave him the go-signal, as far as the Senate is concerned and some of the leaders of the hog raisers that we talked to, he said ‘Right now, right this moment, I will inform the President,’” Sotto said in an online interview with reporters.
(I think the agreement was good as approved because I have talked with Finance Secretary Donny Dominguez, and I gave him the go-signal, as far as the Senate and the leaders of hog raisers that we talked to are concerned.)
“That’s what (Dominguez) said. It’s a done deal,” he added.
The economic team members and Agriculture Secretary William Dar said they “recommended that the tariff rates in EO 128 be adjusted to 10% in-quota and 20% for out-quota for the first three months; and 15% in-quota and 25% for out-quota for the remaining nine months.”
EO in adjusting pork tariffs, MAV ‘good as approved’ – Sotto
Last month, Department of Agriculture Secretary William Dar said the EO is already in effect.
“The EO 128 is now in effect and that continues to be implemented by us. Whatever are needed in terms of say import clearances being requested by importers, the Bureau of Animal Industry is now issuing said import clearances,” Dar said.
Duterte issued Executive Order 128 on April 7 where the 30 percent import tariff within the import quota or minimum access volume (MAV) will be one year reduced to 5 percent, while the 40 percent tax beyond the MAV will be only 15 percent.
The DA chief assured the public that the arrival of imported pork would be “properly managed.”
Dar also reiterated that the measure would not kill the local hog industry in the country.
“Our ultimate goal is really the imports will lower the prices of pork in the market and tame inflation,” Dar said.