Eleazar becomes PNP OIC after Sinas tested positive for COVID-19

A top police official will take over as head of the Philippine National Police (PNP) while the chief of law enforcement is recovering from coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

spokesperson Police Brig. Gen. Ildebrandi Usana confirmed on Thursday night that PNP chief Gen Debold Sinas tested positive for COVID-19.

“Yes po. But he is okay. No cause for worry. Prayers na lang po muna para kay Chief,” Usana said. [Let’s just pray for the Chief].

Lt. Gen. on Friday said, “Following the unfortunate incident wherein our Chief PNP, General Debold M. Sinas, tested positive for coronavirus, I was designated as the [officer-in-charge], as a matter of protocol.”

“As OIC PNP, I will be taking over the affairs of the temporarily and until such time that our Chief PNP fully recovers. Right now, the Chief PNP is doing well and I am in constant communication with him for consultation especially on matters that require his attention and guidance.”

Before being hit by COVID-19, Eleazar was a well-known deputy chief for administration. Eleazar is now praying that his mistah will be healed as soon as possible.

Also read: Eleazar: Social media monitoring limited to viral photos, videos

Eleazar becomes PNP OIC after Sinas tested positive for COVID-19

Sinas is reportedly not showing symptoms of COVID-19 (asymptomatic) but is currently confined at Kiangan Treatment Facilities in Camp Crame.

“Amid this development, the PNP leadership renews call for members of the organization and the general public to continue strictly observing health safety protocols,” said Eleazar.

It will be recalled that Sinas became embroiled in controversy in 2020 after celebrating a birthday with a large crowd amid the toughest lockdown against COVID-19. He faced administrative and criminal charges but was defended by President Rodrigo Duterte. He was even promoted as PNP chief.

Sinas already apologized for his supposed Mañanita, claiming some photos of the gathering that went viral were edited and were taken from old posts.

In July, the next PNP chief was also involved in another controversy when he allegedly threatened a family of a retired cop to move out of their home within the campgrounds.