Eight children were among nine people killed when a dump truck crashed into a ravine while on the way to a Cebu province athletics event.
The dump truck’s brakes failed as it descended a mountain road outside Boljoon town this morning (Friday, July 19).
The local government-owned vehicle was crammed with 39 children, two teachers and two parents when the accident occurred.
According to a Boljoon police report, at least 15 children aged from nine to 13 and one 27-year-old woman were injured and are new being treated at hospitals in in Boljoon, Vincente Sotto, Carcar and Oslob. A further 12 suffered cuts and bruises and were able to return home.
A statement from the Department of Education said: “Thirty-nine learners from Nangka and San Antonio Elementary Schools, together with two parents and two teachers, were on their way to a district athletic meet on board a mini dump truck which suddenly lost its breaks and fell into a ravine.”
Dump truck driver arrested
Police said they planned to file charges of “reckless imprudence resulting to multiple homicide and physical injuries” against the driver, who was unhurt.
According to The Cebu Daily News, they are also investigating whether he was drunk. This followed reports by some survivors that he appeared to be intoxicated.
As we reported last month, a similar accident claimed the lives of 13 people returning from a pre-wedding ceremony near San Fernando. The bride-to-be was among the dead.
Another four deaths
Late last night, three members of a family and their driver were killed while six were injured in a multiple vehicle collision in Lopez, Quezon province.
Police say a Bicol-bound P&O Bus overtook another vehicle on the Maharlika Highway at 11.55pm.
When the bus returned to its lane, it collided with an oncoming Toyota Hi-Ace van. The bus then collided with a tricycle and a parked Honda Civic.
The bus driver has been arrested and will also face charges.
Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates