President Rodrigo Duterte issued another warning against the police.
“Kaya itong mga pulis, I caution you, mag… Huwag kayong mag-abuso. Huwag kayong mag-duty kung lasing kayo kasi pag… Kayo ang hahampasin ko. Iyong dala-dala ninyo na rattan ‘yon ang ihampas ko sa ulo ninyo,” said Duterte on Wednesday.
But despite this, the President promised that he would defend the police if they were right.
“But when you do your work, and you follow the rule, I will be there to defend you. Hindi ako papayag ng harassment diyan. Hindi talaga ako papayag… If you want my help, come here sa Malacañang… Depensahan ko kayo sa habang panahon but do not lie to me when I ask questions,” said Duterte.
Duterte said this after Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, on Wednesday that the police are ready to open their full record of those killed in the war on drugs for review by the Department of Justice.
The DOJ is currently reviewing the alleged victims of extrajudicial killings, in line with its promise to the United Nations Human Rights Council.
Duterte gives warning, assurance to police
It had earlier submitted its partial report to Duterte, which looked at more than 300 EJK cases.
They had planned to finish their review in October, but it was expected to be delayed due to the number of cases to be considered.
The purpose of the review is to file a case against those responsible.
“I hope it starts an investigation… A more in-depth investigation on the part of the PNP as to how they conduct their operations… This is really to ensure that those accountable are really brought to justice, and the appropriate criminal and administrative complaints are brought against them,” said Justice Undersecretary Adrian Sugay.
For the Commission on Human Rights, more people will be encouraged to file a lawsuit when they see the government ready to investigate.
According to Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, the CHR can help in other ways, such as finding and assisting witnesses.