Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Sunday that the prosecutors will surely secure a double murder conviction for Police Senior Master Sergeant Jonel Nuezca who killed a mother and her son in Paniqui, Tarlac on December 20.
“Our prosecutors are waiting for the court’s order setting the arraignment of the accused (Nuezca), subject to the court’s calendar,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters.
“We intend to terminate this case and obtain a conviction for double murder as quickly as possible,” he added.
The DOJ’s prosecutors recommended no bail for Nuezca when it filed the criminal information before the Paniqui regional trial court.
According to the criminal complaint, Nuezca shot twice Sonia Gregorio, 55, at the back of her head. The first shot was fired “while the victim was embracing her son and the second shot was made when she already fell on the ground.
Meanwhile, Frank Anthony Gregorio, 25, was shot “at his head, while defenseless as he was then being embraced by his mother.”
The first hearing on the Tarlac shooting case is expected to be conducted at the Paniqui RTC Branch 67 on Monday, January 4.
“Upon determination of the validity of respondent’s arrest, the inquest proceeding ensued based on the affidavits and supporting documents and evidence submitted, there is probable cause to charge the respondent for two counts of murder,” the DOJ resolution ruled.
Guevarra earlier said that the DOJ “will closely monitor developments in this case and ensure that justice is done.”
DOJ: Nuezca’s conviction for double murder secured
Jonel Nuezca was demoted last October over an extortion case he faced in 2014.
According to Napolcom Legal Affairs Service chief Chito Bustonera, Nuezca was found guilty of grave misconduct after it was proven he extorted money from two individuals he arrested in 2014.
Nuezca was suspended for 10 days in 2010 for reasons not detailed by the authorities.
In 2013, he faced a grave misconduct case, but it was dismissed due to lack of evidence.
In April 2014, the Tarlac killer cop faced less grave neglect of duty for refusing to take a drug test. Records showed that Nuezca had left the testing area without permission from authorities.
In 2016, he faced serious neglect of duty after failing to attend a court hearing as a prosecution witness of a drug case. The case was dropped and closed.
Last year, Nuezca again had grave misconduct (homicide) case filed against him. However, it was dismissed due to a lack of substantial evidence.