DOH immunization drive affected by Typhoon Quinta

ADVERTISING

The implementation of supplemental against measles and polio by the Department of Health has been delayed in two regions affected by typhoon Quinta.

According to Dr. Wilda Silva, National Immunization Program manager, Quinta affected their immunizations in the Mimaropa and Bicol regions.

ADVERTISING

The first day of the DOH’s supplemental immunization activity began on Monday, October 26, and will last until November 25.

“Nung unang araw, sa buong Pilipinas, sa buong implementing regions, nakapagtala lang po tayo ng 5 porsiyento na coverage,” Silva said in an interview on TeleRadyo Wednesday morning.

The DOH targets to vaccinate 4 million children.

ADVERTISING

“Ang target nating coverage para ma-reach natin 95 percent after 1 month, at least 8 percent ang aming tina-target kada araw sana,” said Silva.

According to Silva, they recorded 5 percent on the first day and 6.7 percent on the second day or a total of 11.7 percent on the two days of vaccination implementation.

Despite the ravages of the storm, some areas were able to start on the first day.

Also read: PhilHealth wants Red Cross to use ‘overpriced’ test kits – Gordon

DOH immunization drive affected by Typhoon Quinta

Many residents, especially in the Bicol region, had to be taken to the evacuation center to avoid the typhoon’s effects.

“Ang napag-usapan kahapon at rekomendasyon ng National Emergency Operation Center sa central office ay i-treat na lang na temporary site ‘yung mga evacuation centers kung may mga bata na nandoon,” Silva said.

“Kapag nagkaroon na naman ng ganitong kalamidad at magsisiksikan na naman sila sa evacuation centers, ito po kinakatakutan natin dahil lubos pong nakakahawa po yung tigdas.”

He explained that a person with measles could infect 16 others.

They are also preparing for another typhoon to enter the country. They are already in touch and will alert the partner areas about the upcoming hurricane track.

“Kung wala pa dyan at feasible ‘yung gagawing pagbabakuna magtalaga na ng maraming vaccinators doon habang maganda-ganda ang panahon para magkaroon man ng aberya sa ibang araw hindi masyadong maapektuhan yung ating vaccination campaign,” Silva said.

Also read: Measles, polio immunization continues amid pandemic – IATF

ADVERTISING