Cyprus ‘serial killer’ admits to murdering at least three Filipinas

ADVERTISING
Cyprus
Marry Rose Tiburcio (left) and Arian Palanos Lozano (right) pictured on either side of the disused mine shaft in Cyprus where their bodies were found.

An alleged serial killer in Cyprus has confessed to murdering seven female victims, including at least three Filipinas.

The 35-year-old Greek army officer — who has not been named — showed investigators where he had dumped a body in a disused mineshaft outside Nicosia yesterday (Thursday, April 25).

ADVERTISING

Police had previously said he confessed to killing five women and two girls. All but one of the women was Asian and he met at least two of them on dating website Badoo.

Police previously said the suspect had admitted killing two of his Filipina victims, Marry Rose Tiburcio, aged 38, and Arian Palanas Lozano, 28.

Their naked bodies were bound and wrapped in white sheets before being dumped into the mine shaft. They were discovered on April 14 and 20 after going missing in May and August last year.

ADVERTISING

Police later told a court on the Mediterranean island that the soldier admitted strangling one of the victims after having sex with her.

This week, authorities have been searching the mine-shaft and a nearby lake for signs of Ms Tiburcio’s missing six-year-old daughter, Sierra.

Cypriot media say the soldier also admitted to killing Romanian mother Livia Florentina Bunea, 36, and her eight-year-old daughter Elena Natalia, who went missing in 2016.

He also gave police details of another victim, “either Indian or Nepalese” who he killed in the summer of 2018.

A witness told investigators he had photos of 31-year-old Maricar Valtez Arquiola’s temporary Cyprus residency permit that were taken the day she disappeared in December 2017.

The suspect initially denied killing Ms Arquiola but confessed to it after the court hearing.

The suspect cannot be named as he has not yet been charged with any crimes. Police are continuing to interrogate him.

He was finally tracked down last week after police scoured Ms Tiburcio’s online history.

The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs announced today (Friday, April 26) that they were closely monitoring the case and supporting the families of the victims.

Follow our Facebook page for daily news updates

ADVERTISING