Checkpoint, curfew remain until no COVID-19 vaccine-Eleazar

ADVERTISING

Checkpoint and curfew implementation continue until there is no vaccine against COVID-19 is available, said Joint Task Force COVID Shield Commander Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar.

Eleazar emphasized that the curfew and checkpoint are already part of the “new normal” amid COVID-19 crisis, so people should get used to it. 

ADVERTISING

He added that although some activities are allowed, wearing a face mask and social distancing as protection against the virus will remain.

Eleazar said conducting checkpoint and curfew implementation is part of containing the virus through limiting unnecessary travel.

He added stringent enforcement of community quarantine rules was also effective in preventing COVID-19 infection, according to a study released by experts from the University of the Philippines.

ADVERTISING

The Philippine National Police (PNP) announced last month that the crime rate in the country dropped by 55 percent or 1,852 fewer crimes in the first three weeks of ECQ and curfew.

Data released by the Joint Task Force Covid-19 Shield showed that from the 3,361 crimes recorded from February 22 to March 16 — also a period of 24 days — the number went down to 1,509 from March 17 to April 9, 2020.

The data included what the PNP considers as focus crimes, which are murder, homicide, physical injury, rape, robbery, theft, and theft of motor vehicles.

There are 4,398 quarantine control points and 115 dedicated control points in the country.

Also read: Drug suspect killed in Nueva Ecija police operation


Local government shuts down barangay chairman’s piggery

The local government closed down the piggery of barangay chairman for alleged environmental law violations in Tuba, Benguet.

According to some residents of Twin Peaks in Tuba, the smell from the piggery is disturbing and harming the environment. 

“Ito po ay napakabaho po. Hindi ko matanto kung ano. Dyan kasi yang mga babuyan na yan, yan yung nagbibigay ng sakit sa kalikasan dito. Sana hindi naman ganito ang paglapastangan sa ating kalikasan,” said alias Buboy.

The local government of Tuba immediately acted on through the leadership of the Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office (MENRO).

MENRO recommended to the mayor’s office to close the piggery owned by barangay chairman Allan Bayninan. 

According to MENRO, the piggery is too close to the Bued River, and the pigs’ wastes flow straight to the river. 

It was later found that Bayninan’s facility did not have a permit.

Bayninan has promised to relocate his piggery and obtain the appropriate permit.

ADVERTISING