The no-contact apprehension was launched this Monday as a way to catch traffic violators on major roads in the city of Manila.
Manila Mayor Isko Moreno spearheaded the launch of the no-contact apprehension program at the corner of Quirino and Taft Avenue in the Malate district.
About 36 new HD cameras have been installed on major thoroughfares in the city. They will take videos and photograph the traffic violator as evidence.
According to Moreno, there are no loopholes for traffic violators because the cameras work 24/7 and are monitored by the Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau (MTPB) personnel at the command center.
The MTPB will assess the video and will contact the Land Transportation Office to trace the owner of the vehicle.
MTPB will send a Notice of Violation (NOV) within two weeks. Motorists who want to contest their violation can contact the Manila Traffic Adjudication Board (MTAB).
Cameras will be used to catch traffic violators in Manila
In the new program, it is also said that the conversation between traffic violators and the enforcer leading to cuts and corruption will be avoided and avoiding physical contact due to COVID-19.
According to Moreno, traffic management becomes a challenge for 1,000 MTPB personnel, especially since half a million motorists pass through the city every day.
Meanwhile, Palace rejected the idea of using “yantok” or rattan stick to enforce physical distancing in public areas.
“Hindi po pupuwedeng gamitin iyan na pang-hit o pampalo dahil hindi naman po iyan pinapayagan sa ating batas at regulasyon ng PNP,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque told reporters.
Last week, the Commission on Human Rights also warned law enforcers against the use of yantok, adding using force and actions may lead to inflicting trauma and humiliation.
CHR spokesperson lawyer Jacqueline Ann de Guia said that while they acknowledge the need for imposing discipline to prevent COVID-19 transmission, it is still important to respect human rights and dignity at all times.