Bulacan police have reported the killing of 13 suspected drug dealers during a bloody day of raids that also saw more than 100 arrests.
Police announced today (Thursday, March 22) that officers conducted some 60 “buy-bust” drug operations across nine towns yesterday.
As we previously reported, Bulacan is where 32 people were killed in a single day in August last year. Last month, another 10 suspects died in a bloody night of busts.
In a statement, Bulacan police chief Senior Superintendent Romeo Caramat said: “These operations are part of our stepped-up campaign against drugs and all other forms of criminality in the province.
“Unfortunately, 13 of the suspects were killed when our officers fired in self-defence shortly after the suspects who were armed with concealed guns sensed they were being entrapped and started firing.”
As well as the deaths and arrests, 19 firearms and about 250 packets of suspected drugs were seized during the 24-hour operation, Sn. Supt. Caramat said.
Killed were Limwell Vernales in Bocaue town; two suspects identified only as Joey and Joel in Bulakan town; Emmanuel Manicad in the City of Malolos; a suspect named Pakyaw in Plaridel town; a suspect known only as Jay-one in Pulilan town; and four unidentified suspects in the City of San Jose Del Monte.
Also reported killed were a suspect known only by the alias France Cortez in San Rafael town; Mario Alegre in Baliuag town and an unidentified man in Santa Maria town.
Sr. Supt. Caramat said his men conducted 57 buy bust operations; served 11 arrest warrants and enforced two search warrants. They also made an arrest at a checkpoint and responded to three complaints which led to the arrest of 109 suspects in various towns and cities.
According to the Inquirer, he also said that officers seized 305 pieces of heat-sealed transparent sachets containing over 101 grams of suspected shabu (crystal meth) and 59 sachets filled with 670 grams of marijuana.