The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) released 93 inmates from New Bilibid Prisons in Muntinlupa City on Thursday.
About 86 of them were given parole, six were acquitted in the case, while one completed his sentence.
According to BuCor spokesperson Gabriel Chaclag, there is no high profile in the list of those released.
The basis for granting parole was the behavior of the prisoners while incarcerated.
“Lahat ng factors ay kino-consider ng Board of Pardons and Parole. Sila naman po ay gumagawa ng sulat, follow-up, medical records, mula nang sila ay dumating sa New Bilibid Prisons. Pati ang kanilang reformation activities, sumali sila sa work and livelihood, religious, or educational programs, nandoon lahat sa karpeta,” said Chaclag.
“‘Yung pang-unawa, habaan. Tapos yung pasensya po, lalung dagdagan po,” he added.
He applied for parole last year, but it was allegedly delayed due to the issue of Good Conduct Time Allowance of the convicted rapist and murderer Antonio Sanchez.
BuCor frees 93 inmates from Bilibid
Although he is excited to be with his family in Antipolo, he is also afraid that his acquaintances will change their minds.
“Kagaya kong ex-con na, baka matatakot na rin sila sa akin,” he said.
“Masaya ako at makakapiling ko na po ang asawa ko, mga anak ko, at mga apo ko po na na-miss ko po ng dalawang taon, dalawang buwan,” he added.
He plans to serve in the church and help his wife to take care of the grandchildren.
Former inmates undergo a COVID-19 test before being released.
BuCor gave them enough money to go home. For those who have not yet returned home, BuCor has halfway houses and it will cover their food.
“They are free to go today… May mga pamilya ngang nag-aantay sa labas. ‘Yung iba ninais nila na dito pa rin. So may mga halfway house naman tayo, at siguro ay nahihirapan sila sa transportation, so ‘yung hindi kaagad makakauwi, na kakalabas ngayon, ay bibigyan pa rin ng Bureau of Corrections ng suporta,” said Chaclag.