The province of Batangas has not allocated funds to purchase COVID-19 vaccines.
This appeared at the hearing convened by the committee on health and sanitation of the Provincial Council.
According to Batangas Provincial Health Officer Dr. Rose Ozaeta, vaccine czar Carlito Galvez and Health Secretary Francisco Duque said the allocation for the COVID-19 vaccine will come from the national government.
So the province is hoping and waiting for what the national government will provide.
But Ozaeta admits that she is not sure when it will come and how many.
3rd District Board Member Jhoanna Corona-Villamor questioned how long the province will have to wait for the COVID-19 vaccine from the national government.
Therefore, according to committee members, the Batangas provincial government should make it a priority to provide funding for the COVID-19 vaccine, especially since the province is not included in the priority given by the national government vaccine.
“Ibig sabihin ba kung ma-delay nang ma-delay ang paglaan ng vaccine ng national sa ating probinsya ay maghihintay lang po ba tayo? Kasi po hindi naman po national ang kailangan tanungin doon kundi ito pong provincial government,” said Villamor.
Batangas still does not have funds for COVID-19 vaccine purchase
“Sana po ay ating gawing priority din, isama sa ating priority ang pagbili ng bakuna,” said Batangas 4th District Board Member Jonas Patrick Gozos.
If needed, the province will have funds to spend, Ozaeta said.
Today, some towns in Batangas, such as Taal, have their own vaccine orders.
Last month, Batangas Governor Hermilando Mandanas said residents of the province will be given free vaccines against COVID-19.
Batangas remains in the general community quarantine (GCQ) except for Balayan, San Pascual, Padre Garcia, Tuy, Lemery, High Wood, Agoncillo, Balete, and Lipa City which are already in the modified general community quarantine.
Personnel from 34 hospitals in the country will receive the first batch of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines from the COVAX facility of the World Health Organization, according to the Department of Health this Monday.
Almost all hospitals are from Metro Manila, except for one hospital in Cebu City and another hospital in Davao City, according to Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.