Batanes placed under ECQ after recording 121 active cases

The province of has been placed under enhanced community since Monday due to the increase in COVID-19 cases.

According to the Provincial Government’s announcement on Facebook, the ECQ will last until October 4.

As of the last data on September 20, there are 100 new cases of COVID-19, so that 121 active cases have been recorded.

They were recorded in six towns: 6 in Itbayat, 94 in Basco, 6 in Mahatao, 1 in Ivana, 10 in Uyugan, and 4 in Sabtang.

The increase in cases is said to be a result of community transmission.

On September 16, General Hospital determined that four residents were COVID positive after undergoing the RT-PCR Test.

“Dahil walang travel history, ito ay maituturing na kauna-unahang kaso ng community transmission sa probinsya,” the provincial government said in an announcement they released on Facebook.

“Ayon din sa ulat ng BGH, marami ang nagpapakonsulta na mga nagpopositibo sa Rapid Antigen Test.”

On September 17, Governor Marilou Cayco also ordered under Executive Order No. 24 series of 2021 stricter rules to address the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Batanes placed under ECQ after recording 121 active cases

This Monday, the Provincial COVID-19 Task Group also canceled inbound passenger flights or flights of planes carrying passengers into Batanes.

The provincial government also confirmed that starting September 18, the Batanes General Hospital will be at maximum capacity. However, he further stressed that the situation of the damage caused by typhoon Kiko to the structures has worsened so that it is no longer able to accommodate inbound passengers who are also required to undergo at the facilities.

The operation of SkyPasada and NorthSky is still permitted, but it is limited to the travel of cargo and outbound passengers.

Humanitarian flights, as well as emergency cases, are also possible, but there should be coordination with the provincial government. Before the increase in active cases, there were only a total of 17 COVID-19 cases in Batanes that were recovered or cured of the disease, and no deaths were recorded.

But so far, the total number of COVID-19 cases in the province has reached 138.

Visit our Facebook page for more  updates.